Dursley Public Houses

Dursley once had what seems to be more than its fair share of public houses, inns, beerhouses and alehouses. Perhaps they catered for the large numbers of workers at R.A. Lister, Mawdsley's or the numerous other smaller companies within the town. Prior to that of course, they were probably filled by those engaged in the wool trade. In 1903, an official list of all licensed houses for Gloucestershire reveals the existence of:

  • Bell & Castle, Parsonage Street (demolished 1963)
  • Broadwell Tavern, The Broadwell, Water Street (now a private house)
  • Bull Inn (The Bull), Woodmancote (building still standing)
  • Carpenters' Arms, Uley Road (still trading in 2015)
  • Cross Keys, Union Street (now a private house)
  • The Crown, Long Street (building still standing)
  • Fox & Hounds, Hill Road (still trading in 2015 as The Old Spot)
  • Kings Head, Parsonage Street (still trading in 2015)
  • Lamb Inn (The Lamb), Long Street (building still standing but now part of The Priory)
  • New Inn, Woodmancote (still trading in 2015)
  • Old Bell, Long Street (currently [April 2015] closed)
  • Railway Inn, Long Street (converted to two houses, 68 & 70, prior to 1915)
  • Star Inn (The Star), Silver Street (building still standing)

At other times, before or after 1903, the following pubs have existed in the town:

  • Boot Inn, Market Place (near/on the Heritage Centre site, licence transferred to Silver St.)
  • Boot Inn, Silver Street (demolished c1959)
  • Golden Heart, Long Street (trading in 1822 and 1830, date of closure unknown)
  • George Inn, location uncertain, possibly Long Street (known to exist in 1785 and 1790)
  • Happy Pig Inn, May Lane (closed in 1988, demolished)
  • Kingshill Inn, Kingshill Road (opened c1936, currently [April 2015] closed)
  • Lamb Inn, Market Place (demolished c1864 to make way for a police station)
  • New Bell, Long Street (trading in 1822 and 1830, date of closure unknown)
  • White Lion, Market Place (trading in 1808 and 1830)
  Picture Gallery (Click on picture for larger view)
    "The Cross Keys", Union Street
Pictured in 1931 shortly after he took over, this picture shows Albert Owen outside the Cross Keys pub which stood at the junction of Union Street, Boulton Lane, Upper Poole Road and The Slade. The Cross Keys originally served ales from the Dursley Steam Brewery and more latterly from the Stroud Brewery.
(1931 - copyright Jean Robertson)
    "The Cross Keys" during demolition work
This view was taken in 1959 during demolition work in the Boulton Lane/Slade/Union Street area. The building itself escaped destruction and still remains as a private house.
(1959 - copyright John Shipton)
    "The Bull Inn", Bull Pitch
Bull Pitch was actually named after The Bull Inn, situated at the junction of Uley Road and Woodmancote. It was originally tied to the Elvy's Dursley Steam Brewery and was later sold to Godsell & Sons of Stroud.
(1904 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    "The Old Bell", Long Street
The Old Bell Hotel is a 15th century former coaching inn, built of brick with a large bell hanging over the entrance which has been in that position for over a hundred years. In this view the hotel was owned by George's & Co, Bristol Brewery. One of the rooms of the hotel was used as a local assize court where defendants were sent to their fate. It is said that two of the resident ghosts are the souls of innocent men wrongly convicted. Somewhat surprisingly, the pub has recently changed its name to 'Ye Olde Dursley Hotel" and was still trading at the beginning of 2015.
(1959 - copyright John Shipton)
    "The Crown Inn", Long Street
A great picture of the Crown Inn in its original location, a building now occupied by the "Dursley Tandoori" restaurant. The license for the Crown was later transferred to the next property up the street. Pictured here are Charles Edward Owen (1880-1952) holding his son, Ronald Edward Owen (1921-2009).
(1921 - copyright Ellen Kent)
    "The Crown Inn", Long Street
The Crown Inn on the left used to serve ales from the Stroud Brewery and later West Country Breweries whose plaque can still be seen. This is the Crown's new location in Long Street, adjacent to its previous position.
(c1959 - courtesy Rose Wareham)
    "The Crown Inn", Long Street
The sign of the old Crown Inn can be seen on the left of Long Street in this view. The pub used to serve ales from the Stroud Brewery and later West Country Breweries whose plaque can still be seen.
(1959 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    "The Crown Inn", Long Street
A more recent view of the Crown, not too many years before closing. The building was later converted to become the Lodge Balti restaurant in August 1998.
(Mid 1980s - copyright Owain Woods)
    "The Lamb Inn", Long Street
Only just visible on the right of this picture is the sign of The Lamb Inn which was situated next to The Priory at the bottom of Long Street. The Lamb Inn was owned by the Nailsworth Brewery.
(1965 - copyright Bill Turner)
    "The Star Inn", Silver Street
The Star Inn was at one time owned by Stroud Brewery Company and later by West Country Breweries whose ceramic plaque still remains on the wall although the pub ceased trading in the 1980s.
(c1940's - courtesy Colin Timbrell)
    "The Star Inn", Silver Street
Pictured here shortly before final closure, the Star Inn was situated opposite the junction with Boulton Lane.
(Summer 1984 - courtesy David Evans)
    "The Boot Inn", Silver Street
The Boot Inn stood opposite The Victoria Hall and Coffee Tavern which later became the Victoria cinema. Although classified as an alehouse it only had a six day license.
(c1905 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    "The Bell and Castle Hotel", Parsonage Street
The Bell and Castle Hotel was a large stone building serving ales from Arnolds and then Stroud Brewery. It was demolished in 1963 to make way for the first phase of construction of Castle Street which joined Parsonage Street at this point. Its site is now occupied by Barclay's Bank.
(c1900-1910 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    "The King's Head Inn", Parsonage Street
In early years The King's Head served ales and stouts from the Nailsworth Brewery. It is still trading in 2015, now being the only pub present on Parsonage Street after the demolition of the Bell & Castle in 1959.
(c1920's - courtesy Colin Timbrell)
    "The Broadwell Tavern", Water Street
The Broadwell Tavern, on the right of the picture, dated back to the 15th century as an alehouse and before that was a nunnery. The tavern was an outlet for Godsell's Stroud ales in the town. (c1905 - courtesy David Evans)
    "Carpenters Arms", Uley Road
The Carpenters Arms is a brick built Victorian pub which is still trading in 2015. It originally supplied ales from the Dursley Steam Brewery.
(December 29th 2000 - copyright Andrew Barton)
    "Fox and Hounds", Hill Road
The Fox and Hounds originally served ales from the Stroud Brewery and West Country Breweries before becoming a typical Whitbread public house. It is shown here up for sale prior to its new lease of life as "The Old Spot", see below.
(1991 - copyright David Evans)
    "Old Spot Inn", Hill Road
Originally known as "The Fox and Hounds" (see above), in 1993 it was taken over and became a freehouse under its current name. It now has a reputation throughout Gloucestershire (and the UK) as a pub of great character and excellent beers.
(December 31st 2000 - copyright Andrew Barton)
    "The Kingshill Inn", Kingshill Road
Built in the mid 1930's by builder L.J. Watts who also built the Regal Cinema, the nearby shops and the houses behind, when it was hoped that a satellite community would develop around it, distinct from Dursley. The pub is currently (April 2015) closed but it is hoped it will reopen.
(January 14th 1982 - copyright Ian Thomas)
    "Happy Pig Inn", May Lane
The Happy Pig Inn was located in the Italianate style building once occupied by the Black Stallion Restaurant but did not trade for very long. Customers could sample real ales in "The Swill" or could "Pig Out" at "The Trough".
(c1988 - copyright Otto Mellerup)
    "The New Inn", Whiteway
This view of the New Inn shows the results of yet another hit from a runaway lorry which destroyed the gable end of the building. Ales were originally supplied by the Dursley Steam Brewery. The pub is still trading in 2015.
(1988 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)