|Dursley Swimming Pool|
Dursley's first swimming pool was located in Water Street and was provided by Mr Ayliffe for the benefit of the town's residents. By the late 19th century though, things were obviously going through more difficult times as evidenced by this entry from the Parish magazine for June 1879.
It seems that the Baths did not survive, although there was an attempt to reopen them in 1949. A Poll was taken to allow the public to vote on renovation which unfortunately did not get passed - Votes For 299, Votes Against 392.
Although there were attempts to build a new pool throughout the 20th century, it wasn't until the early 1980s when things began to take shape. Plans were drawn up to build a new pool on the present Castle Street site and a design competition was opened up to invite tenders. The competition was won by the Architect firm of Faulkner Browns and planning permission for the design was given in 1983. The building was described as "an energy conscious, high quality enclosure situated on a south facing site and contains a deck pool of 225 sq. metres in area. The pool will be flexible in use and contains 25 metre lanes, a children's and learner's lagoon of shallower water, and a deep end which can be used for training purposes. The roof is of special interest in that it is mono-pitch with a large radius glazed barrel vault on the high north side."
Work didn't begin for a few years though but the commemorative foundation
stone was finally laid on September 29th 1987. Construction continued
through to the summer of 1988 when the pool eventually opened, the official
ceremony taking place on October 11th 1988, attended by The Princess Royal.