|Dursley Post Office|
The "Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce and Manufacture" for 1791 records that Dursley's postmaster was Mathew Church and that there was "post in and out daily". At the same time the distributor of stamps was a Mr Richard Williams who was also the town's banker, a big responsibility no doubt. By 1822, Pigot's directory expands on this, stating that:
"Mail arrives from London at a quarter before twelve at noon, and is dispatched at a quarter before two in the afternoon. - The Oxford, Cirencester, &c for the London Mail. - Mails from Birmingham and Bristol arrive at six in the morning, and are dispatched at eight in the evening. - Mail from Wotton-under-Edge arrives at eight in the evening, and is dispatched at six in the morning."
By this time the Post Office was stated as being in Long Street and its postmaster was Thomas Baldwin although by 1830 Pigot records that the person in charge had changed to postmistress Sarah Baldwin, presumably a relative. By 1863 the Post Office Directory for Gloucestershire reveals that the postmaster was John Owen and also that letters were delivered at 7am and 8:30pm. Kelly's Directory for 1902 notes a further change - the postmistress was Miss Rebecca Jane Clark. It also provides extensive tables of times for all incoming and outgoing mails, no doubt making good use of the railway which by this time was well established.
By the begining of the 20th century the Post Office was in Parsonage Street close to the old Police Station although by around 1940 it had been replaced by a large new building opposite The Crescent which still survives in 2004 although no longer in post office use. This building was extended to house an automated telephone exchange. The earlier building survived until the late 1950s when it was demolished.
Today, in 2004, the services of the Post Office are provided by a small
area within Bailey's newsagent shop close to the Market House.